What Companies and Professionals can learn from Samosa!
Evening time, snacks time or simply tiffin time. One of the common options is Samosa (also known as samoosa, sambusa, or samboksa depending on time and place).
Samosas are popular delicious snacks. They are found almost everywhere. Standard vegetable Samosa has a main ingredient which is mashed boiled potato, along with the addition of other ingredients. These potato mashes are stuffed in dough made of flour and deep fried in oil and served hot along with chutney or its variants.
Sweeter (stuffing -Khoya /coconut) and non vegetarian options (stuffing mutton/fish) also available. The Samosas are equally popular and are a great choice for many …whether a birthday celebration or a party…or simply as a filler for snacks..
Management Lessons from Samosa
Samosa is a product in circulation for more than 1000 years.
How many products survive even for a few centuries.
The samosa is claimed to have originated in the Middle East (where it is known as sambosa prior to the 10th century. There is a reference to a product similar to Samosa by Abolfazl Beyhaqi (995-1077), an Iranian historian, in his historical presentation - Tarikh-e Beyhaghi.
1. Change and flexibility: Samosa survived because it had managed change. It had flexibility. Samosa is available in many varieties. Apart from the recipe mentioned above multiple varieties are available. Sweeter (stuffing -Khoya /coconut) and non vegetarian options (stuffing mutton/fish) also available.
2. Satisfying needs: Samosa is one of the snacks which immediately satisfies a vital food need of a customer.
3. Price: Samosa is priced reasonably compared to other snacks. Budget friendly and right pricing has enabled the Samosa to survive for centuries.
4. Availability: easily available in different formats across the world. Samosas are a popular snack in the local cuisines of the Indian subcontinent and other parts of the world
5. Value for Money: Samosa delivers value for money
6. Display: Samosas are displayed prominently. They are given a premium display spots whether at a local tea shop or at eateries or high end restaurants.
7. Accessibility: Samosas are easily available to consumers. From local tea shops to fancy restaurants or hotels.
8. Available in multiple options. Available as standalone or combo. More decision making options regarding choice is available to consumers.
9 Packaging: This product can be easily packaged (no fancy high cost packaging systems or facilities).
Satisfying customers as per the needs and convenience has enabled the samosa to survive a thousand years. A management lesson for all business and professionals!
Waiting for the next similar product.
Wishing you a great samosa!
This article has been written to emphasis that business lessons are available around us. We just need to keep our eyes, ears and more importantly brain open minded…
Many have survived without a Management degree but nobody has survived without common sense!